Go Back   AFRICAW WORLD ISSUES DISCUSSION FORUM > GLOBAL ISSUES DISCUSSION FORUM > FRIENDS AND FAMILY
Click to log in with Facebook

have you ever been to jail? How was Jail?

FRIENDS AND FAMILY

Old ,   #1  
Buah

Replies: 47
Buah is an unknown quantity at this point

GOLD 

Question have you ever been to jail? How was Jail?

Have you ever been to jail? what did you do and how was it like? This question may sound very stupid to most people but the truth is that, at least 1 in every 100 Americans have or have had a criminal record at some point in time.

In other words, at least 1 in every 100 Americans have been to jail at some point in history.
Not every person in Jail however committed the act or was involved in the criminal activity. Sometimes innocent people are put to jail initially until the truth prevails.

Mere coincidence has put a lot of people in jail at some point in time. These people are not criminals but have been to jail before.

Have you ever been to jail before? How was jail?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woman in jail.jpg (36.9 KB)
Sponsored Links
Old ,   #2  
shellerz

Replies: 15
shellerz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: have you ever been to jail before?

I have never been sent to jail before but several of my friends have had the misfortune of serving some short prison sentences (not for any violent offenses I must add). They have told me some terrible things about the life inside and the violent subcultural groups in there however it made me realize that I never want to be incarcerated myself for any reason.
shellerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old ,   #3  
vishrut

Replies: 33
vishrut is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never ever gone to jail in my life, and I hope I never go at all. I agree with the fact that sometimes many innocent people have been sent to jail. If there is one crime, about ten people are sent to jail, out of which nine or even all of them are innocent.

Going to jail means decrease in reputation, and I don't want to decrease my reputation at all. Even if you are innocent, you will loose your reputation because of going to jail, so I am glad I have never gone to jail
vishrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old ,   #4  
scott1995

Replies: 4
scott1995 is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally have never gone to jail, and i really do hope i never will Rights are taken away from people that are arrested (e.x. can't own a weapon), and i think that people would probably think less of you if they knew that you were arrested or went to jail.
scott1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old ,   #5  
Bigpixy

Replies: 39
Bigpixy is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope. I have never been to jail and I think I never will go to jail. I'm the kind of person that would do no wrong. I just have too much respect for people to do anything to them or shame my family like that. I'm the nicest human being on earth. OK, maybe not the nicest, but I'm pretty nice.
Bigpixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old ,   #6  
celtic85

Replies: 1
celtic85 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been in army jail for going AWOL. In England it's called MCTC - Military Corrective Training Centre but it is tougher than regular prison.

I'm 28 now but was only 19 back then and had been in the army only for about a year and got into a bit of bother and ended up going AWOL. I got 2 months for that.

I spent a few days in the Guardroom cells before been taken down to Colchester and just kept on hearing about how bad it was down there and how they'd straighten me out. I was nervous as anything about going down there eventhough I couldn't wait to get out of the guard house cells but that's another story.

I remember when I got there the first segeant I met seemed like he wanted to have my guts. The minute I got there it was just a whole load of verbal - double time here, march there, pick up this, drop this - just trying to keep up was hard enough - just showing who was boss. He said I was scum - a disgrace to the army, the country, my family etc. He was one of the scariest dudes I've come across and I knew I was going to be doing exactly what I was told.

Because I was soldiering on I was with other lads staying in the army - there's another section for those who they are kicking out. The days were spent as in back in basic with loads of inspections, drill, PT, rubbishy jobs like polishing, cleaning. Some of the jobs were pointless but you just did them without thinking too much about iy. You were kept busy right through the day and were marched everywhere if not running around. By the end of the day you were so knackered that all you wanted to do was sleep and you did - and then wake up the next day and go through it all again. You had very little free time and most of it was spent getting my uniform clean and tidy, my kit straightened out, polishing my boots (never had shinier boots) for teh constant inspections and they were so anal about everything they could always find fault - much worse than basic. You started of with no privileges and everything had to be earned. There was no TV, CDs, DVDs or what you hear about in normal prisons - you even had to earn your right to have a smoke. Obviously there were no drugs or mobiles in there.

If you were there for longer you could get moved to second and third stage where you do get more privileges like TV, more free time, nicer barracks etc. They got to move about the camp themselves instead of being marched and eventually got town passes one afternoon a week. They even get to do 'guard duty' so you had detainees doing guard duty with the staff! Most people got that who were there a while as people did fall into line. I only got to do Stage 1 though.

It was a shock to the system for me eventhough I was in the army but it takes it to another level. I ended up when I was leaving there much fitter and a much better soldier and looking forward to getting back to more freedom and the 'luxuries' of army life. I got promoted 12 months after getting out so I was doing something right.

Because you have to work for everything you do work and eventhough it's strict they are fair. You value anything you get and know you can't slacken off or they'll come down heavy. After a while you get used to what you have to do and you can get through it and count down the days.

The same sergeant who 'welcomed' me there was there at the end and said - fair play lad, you did your stretch but if I ever see you back here again I'll f*** you over. It might seem strange but I actually got to like and respect most of the staff there eventhough I thought they were ######s at the start. I'll never forget the experience but I think that I learnt loads as a 19 year old from it.

People never really ended up back there as far as I know. It was hard going while you were in there but once you got out it wasn't held against you and you could soldier on.
celtic85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old ,   #7  
William

Replies: 57
William is an unknown quantity at this point

I once was in prison in a foreign country. It was very scary, cold, hard, and confusing. Mainly because I didn't speak Spanish.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old ,   #8  
Ami69

Replies: 54
Ami69 is an unknown quantity at this point

GOLD 

I have never been to jail before but I cannot say I will never go to jail but I just pray that I never go to jail. As you said, some people were sent to jail not because they did anything wrong and who knows? it can happen to anybody. Just pray that you never go to jail.
Ami69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old ,   #9  
Unregistered

Replies: n/a

I have never been to jail but I can tell you that an African jail is the worst place to be. An African jail is worse than hell. In Africa, a jail sentences tarnishes not just your image but the image of your entire community and your life will never be the same again once you come out of jail unless you move to a different community far away to start life again.
Old ,   #10  
sabili

Replies: 2
sabili is an unknown quantity at this point

I was just in jail for 4 days and got out last night. I got picked up for a P.I. charge (public intoxication) and technically only had to be in jail for 12 hrs until I "sobered up" but I was charged in by a city police station but sent to a county jail so I could not pay my bond because it was not held at the facility I was at... it was at the city station so I could only leave if I had someone go to the city and pay my bond and then take the receipt to the county jail. Little tip... if you ever get arrested make sure you have a list of peoples HOUSE PHONE numbers that can bail you out because the payphones in jail only let you make collect calls and you cant make a collect call to a cellphone. It took me 4 days to get a hold of someone to go pay my bond and then I was out in 3hrs. The only other way to get out is to wait for your court date, which I still don't know when is, and other inmates told me they had to wait up to a month to go to court on their previous offenses... so I very well could have been stuck there for a month if I didn't get a hold of someone to pay my bond.
sabili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old ,   #11  
sanil09

Replies: 7
sanil09 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow that's a bit scary, i never seen the face of jail. You get bad reputation in the society once you are in and it looks like a horrible place. I don't have any criminal records in my life and not interested in having one in the future. thanks
sanil09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old ,   #12  
nawza07

Replies: 16
nawza07 is an unknown quantity at this point

No I have never been to jail and i don't want to go there.. yes we will get bad reputation in the society and look useless when we together with them.. that's why i don't want a criminal record and enjoy my life.
nawza07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old ,   #13  
Jonreps

Replies: 28
Jonreps is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately I have to say yes. I spent 15 days in jail as the result of my second DUI. It wass in county prison so it was not that bad. The worst part was the food everything else was easy to deal with
Jonreps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old ,   #14  
BCRoller

Replies: 43
BCRoller is an unknown quantity at this point

Ever been to jail? Hmmm, how about "yes AND no?" I have been to jail (several different prisons, actually) many, many times before. However, my being to any jail had nothing to do with me committing a crime or anything like that, it just happens to be that I used to work in that field for a number of years so "going to jail" came with the territory. Yes, there were scary times (socializing with lifers in for murder is, obviously, not everyones' cup of tea) but, for the most part, I really enjoyed what I did and I have never had any regrets in doing it. On the flip side of the coin, though, no, I have never spent a day "behind" bars before and I hope that I'll never, ever have to. Ugh, thanx but no thanx.
BCRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old ,   #15  
Kofi
I love Africa

Replies: 454
Kofi is an unknown quantity at this point

GOLD SENIOR MEMBER 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanil09 View Post
Wow that's a bit scary, i never seen the face of jail. You get bad reputation in the society once you are in and it looks like a horrible place. I don't have any criminal records in my life and not interested in having one in the future. thanks
You are right on the reputation level but not all jails are horrible. I know a homeless guy who decided to go to jail because he feels good in there. He gets 3 meals a day. He gets medical attention and there is a comfortable bed in there so he doesn't have to sleep in the cold. Most American jails I've heard of are far better than regular hotels. Meanwhile, a Nigerian prison is worse than the deepest part of hell.
Kofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old ,   #16  
Dixyboy

Replies: 31
Dixyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

No, I have never been to jail before. I really can't imagine myself in prison though. I don't think I would have the guts to do anything that would put me in such a situation. All my life I've been playing by the rules and living the clean life so I don't see why I would change now. I guess I just beliave if you do good thing, good thing will happen to you in return.
Dixyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old ,   #17  
JBMedia

Replies: 4
JBMedia is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been to jail unfortunately once. It was during a party event like Mardi Gras in where I used to live near by Key West. The event is called Fantasy Fest. I guess I was a little intoxicated that night and ended up peeing on public property down the main strip. There were some cops nearby and they saw what I was doing and took me in. I was just in for a night though thank god!
JBMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old ,   #18  
marjunsti

Replies: 1
marjunsti is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi try this site free ebook and inspirational story about please search it in google thankgodforebook My father went to prison.
marjunsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old ,   #19  
ghprod

Replies: 16
ghprod is an unknown quantity at this point

thnx GOD i never go to jail

I have heard many stories that in the prison, many people find that torture and those who enter prison have had a negative view of society, is very sad reality.'

regards
ghprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old ,   #20  
shymaaz

Replies: 46
shymaaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank God..never been to jail. I am leading a jail free life uptill now. I do not want to become a jail bird ever in life. I beg pardon and God's mercy from this dreadful situation.
shymaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old ,   #21  
Free

I will say yes and no at the same time because I did not go to jail for a crime I committed personally. I just happened to be his friend and I had to accompany him to jail because I was there when the cops rushed in.
Old ,   #22  
Unregistered

Jail isn't the worst place but to some people, Jail seems like the best place for them. A neighbor just got arrested for beaten his wife to coma. For such a person, I think jail is the best place for them.
Old ,   #23  
Meenah

Yes and no because I got to jail by mistake and I got out of jail the same day so yes I've been to jail before and no I did not stay in jail for long.
Old ,   #24  
ranger

Replies: 31
ranger is an unknown quantity at this point

Well so far I've been lucky enough Anyways, once my friend was arrested for drink driving. To add he was just 16 then. Later on his parents took him on bail. He was so embarrassed that he left our school and I haven't yet seen him for some 2-3 years.
ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old ,   #25  
Unregistered

I have been to jail two times. I went to jail for reckless driving. If you go 25 MPH over the speed limit you can go to jail. I only spent 4 hours in there in Corpus Christi, TX and it was a breeze. When I went before the judge he said they had no probable cause to charge me so he let me go. Two months later I was in Houston, TX and leaving a bar. When I got in my car a cop pulled up blocking me in. He apparently ran my plates while I was in the bar and waited for me. I had two counts of reckless driving filed against me from that previous incident in Corpus Christi. The courts reviewed the police records and decided to issue warrants and never contacted me. I did 10 hours in Fort Bend County Jail. They were a little bit rougher. They made me strip naked and put on a jump suit and three police officers held me up against a wall. I got released the next morning after paying my warrant of $75. I had to go to Corpus Christi (200 miles away) to go to court. When I went before the judge again they had no probable cause because they did not clock me, they just assumed by the sounds my car was making I was speeding and dropped the charges. Both times I had to pay $150 to get my car out of impound. I had to pay $500 for a lawyer.
Old ,   #26  
SlyJon

I hate to say this but 4 times on my side. twice in mexico and twice in the United States
Old ,   #27  
Max

Default Re: have you ever been to jail? How was Jail?

I wasted 2 f**king years in jail for one gunshot. It was a street fight and I fired a gunshot in the air and i got thrown into jail.
Old ,   #28  
ohreally

Replies: 6
ohreally is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never been sent to jail, however I have visited a jail before. I wouldn't want to go to jail, I would be too sad :*(
ohreally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old ,   #29  
Martha

I have never been to jail before in my entire life but I am just among the few lucky ones. sometimes people get thrown into jail for crimes they never committed. A friend of mine got thrown into jail a few days ago for something i know he never did.
Old ,   #30  
Unregistered

My father was in Jail before I was born. I first saw my dad at 10yrs old. He was released after about 11yrs in prison. He recently got himself in another mess and is waiting for his trial. I believe he never committed the act but because of his previous criminal record, they may put him in jail again. Life is boring at times.

Tags
jail

AFRICA AND THE WORLD -
Copyright 2006-2014, Africaw.com. All Rights Reserved.