Go Back   AFRICAW WORLD ISSUES DISCUSSION FORUM > GLOBAL ISSUES DISCUSSION FORUM > RELIGIOUS AND MORAL ISSUES
Click to log in with Facebook

What does the Bible say about body piercings and tattoos?

RELIGIOUS AND MORAL ISSUES

Old ,   #1  
Kofi
I love Africa

Replies: 452
Kofi is an unknown quantity at this point

GOLD SENIOR MEMBER 

Default What does the Bible say about body piercings and tattoos?

Is it a sin for a Christian to get a tattoo? I know most Seventh Day Adventists don't even support the idea of earrings let alone body piercings and tattoos.

What does the Bible say about body piercings and tattoos? Is it a sin to go in for body piercings? here is a quotation from the bible:

"You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the LORD. (Leviticus 19:28)."

what do you think? can a Christian get a tattoo? what about religious tattoos? what about tattoos to honour Jesus? what about tattoos to honour one of the saints? how about tattoos of the virgin Mary? how about a tattoo of the cross? how about a tattoo of your favorite Bible quotation somewhere on your body where you can easily see it?

Is is a sin for a Christian to get a tattoo?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tattoo.jpg (24.6 KB)
Old ,   #2  
Unregistered

Replies: n/a
Default Re: Can a Christian get a tattoo?

Can A Christian Get A Tattoo?

From the Bibleís perspective

I was watching LA Ink on TLC last night and I thought about this question. A lot of people watch shows like LA Ink and see people with large tattoos up and down their arms and are really put off by it. Now, I don't plan on ever getting tattoos up and down my arms or covering my back or in any other manner that is such a dramatic bodily change. However, I've always found tattoos, artistically speaking, fascinating. Frankly, I look at some of those really great tattoos on shows like Miami Ink and LA ink with a bit of artistic respect. But, this is not why I am making a Christian defense of tattoos. I make a Christian defense of tattoos because there is nothing wrong with tattoos alone.

I have heard people say some nasty things about Christianity and tattoos. If only these people were as passionate about Jesus and sharing the gospel as they were about their distaste of tattoos! People need Christís love shown to them in our words and actions much more than they need our opinion about tattoos. People really get worked up over this stuff. It all boils down to legalism. I'm not saying there aren't certain things to be passionate about... What I am saying is that tattooing shouldnít one of those things.

I can give a straight answer on the issue of tattoos because the Bible makes it clear, tattoos aren't wrong, but...

Should a Christian get a tattoo?

Only if you want one! But it's really not that simple, is it? What if you want a tattoo but your parents will be ashamed
of it? What if you fear your tattoo really is a sin? What if you fear your tattoo might causes others to sin? Well, then,
perhaps you need to read Romans 14: 13-18

13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or
obstacle in your brother's way. 14 As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean. 15 If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died. 16 Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil. 17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18 because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men

--Romans 14:13-18 (NIV)

See what Paul says here? It might not be a sin in God's eyes, but there is a way for something that is not a sin in
and of itself to lead to sin. Tattoos alone are not a sin in the eyes of God--I am sure of this, but a tattoo might
cause other problems and sins. This should be thoughtfully and prayerfully considered. If you have the least bit of doubt, then you shouldn't get a tattoo.

Is it okay?

Many people are reading this wondering if its okay for a Christian to get a tattoo. Of course a Christian can do
just about anything. That may or may not mean its okay.

1 Corinthians 6:12a says:

ďEverything is permissible for meĒ -but not every-
thing is beneficial.

The real question is, is it a sin? To answer the question immediately: It's not a sin to get a tattoo.
There is nothing inherently wrong with a tattoo. There is something wrong (very wrong) with idolatry and Satanism,
both of which can be dangerously intertwined with tattooing. Many of the arguments against tattoos delve into idolatry and Satanism, making some odd argument that all tattoos are of this form. Sure, a tattoo can be such things, but the vast majority aren't. Can a tattoo go the other way, perhaps so far as to be a symbol of one's faith and love in God? I say yes!

There is some real nonsense on the Internet, so be careful what you read and ALWAYS check someone's opinion
(including mine) against scripture. It's easy to find someone of an opinion that happens to fit with what you were hoping to hear and follow it blindly. Be careful.

I found a web site that says its wrong for Christians to get tattoos... Be very careful what you read on the web.

When I was researching this topic myself I found one 'Christian' web site that was very anti-tattoo. None of their
reasoning was based on the Bible, however, it was all based on emotion. Tattoos just didn't seem right to the author, so she went on a tirade against paganism and tribal art. Displayed on this site were numerous tattoo images of a satanic nature, furthering her 'proof' that tattoos are evil. She failed to mention anything about Christian tattoos, rather, she attempted to imply that all tattoos are of Satan and death images. No scripture was used.

I refuse to make a reference to the web site here because it is complete nonsense. By the way, the same site that I am referring to argues that the King James translation is the ONLY accurate translation.

What about such and such a verse in the Bible? The most common verse people point to when discussing tattoos is Leviticus 19:28:

Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

--Leviticus 19:28 (NIV)

Here is something else in the same chapter:

27 Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.

These were the commands to the Israelites and the Levities. If you study these Old Covenant commands, they refer to the Israelites keeping themselves far from the appearance of these idolatrous nations (I would recommend reading all of Leviticus 19). It can be problematic when scripture is quoted out of context, or without regard to other scripture. This is
one case where pointing to a single verse has created an inaccurate legalism.

Here's a article that speaks to some of this [christianteens.about.com]:

As you can see, many of the other 'rules' that are laid out in Leviticus are not followed today. Does that mean that
the whole book of Leviticus, or even the Bible should not be followed? No! It just means that we need to carefully analyze what the theme of the Bible is, and realize what it means for us today. The book of Leviticus contained several 'laws' that were made to keep the children of Israel healthy and holy for God. Tattoos in those days were extremely dangerous and could result in injury, disease, or death. The verse also is referring to a pagan ritual of putting tattoo marks on oneself for the dead, in order to protect oneself from the spirit world.
Why then, should one get a tattoo?

A person does not need to get a tattoo! I am not advocating that everyone should get a
tattoo - rather I am saying that we should not shun those who have tattoos, or make the blanket statement that they must not be a Christian. Some Christians get tattoos to show their allegiance to Christ, while others just think that it is something cool to do.
1 Samuel 16:7b says:

The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.

I want to have a tattoo that reminds me of my commitment to Christ as well as announcing that commitment to others.

In the New Testament, Romans 10:4 says:

Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.
--Romans 10:4 (NIV)

23 Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be
revealed. 24 So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by
faith. 25 Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law Christ
is the new covenant.
--Galatians 3:23-25

Christ is the new covenant.

I could point to more and more text in the New Testament that hammers this point. I hope you spend time in
Gods word-studying these passages for your self

Many anti-tattooing Christians also point to this verse:

19 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you
have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God
with your body.
--1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (NIV)

Some Christians will argue that these verses condemn tattooing (I don't see it). Other Christians point to these verses and say "I am glorifying God with this tattoo." By my interpretation, this verse is saying to me, I may get a tattoo, so long as it is honoring to God, and is in no way, shape or form indicative of Satanism or idolatry. Idolatry is the key issue here. We need to avoid idolatry of other gods and the passive idolatry of vanity.

Romans 14:23 says:

But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

--Romans 14:23 (NIV)

In other words, if I am getting a tattoo, I better be doing it out of faith. I'm not doing it out of pride or vanity--but because of my love of God. This is important. This is key!

You have the power to search scripture for yourself!
So often Christians decide something is wrong not because of what they have read in the Bible, but because of what they have been told the Bible says. We are blessed these days. Each and every one of us can look to the Bible for ourselves to see what is written on a given subject.

I don't favor loose or liberal interpretation of scripture at all. I think loose interpretation of scripture is a result of longing for a desired statement (or lack thereof) in scripture. Legalism can be bad too. Legalism can be destructive as well because it is based on incorrect interpretation of scripture.

I am (very) conservative when it comes to interpreting the Bible. Here is how I read it: Yes, it is okay to get a tattoo, so long as it is not idolatrous or pagan and it glorifies God.

For a Christian, isnít your body Godís temple?
Absolutely! I want my body to "be a temple," for certain. I'm not about to get a pagan or idolatrous tattoo. I want a Jesus glorifying tattoo.

To summarize...

My opinion on tattoos: They are okay, if, and only if, they are used to glorify God, and DO NOT offer a display of a false idol. Personally, I would only get a tattoo that echo my love of God.

Thinking about getting one?

Please think very carefully about getting a tattoo before you get one. Think and pray about it first. What are you reasons? What is the image? Will the image be God glorifying or offensive to God? What is your motivation?
It is not a rash or quick decision. Always get the permission of your parents if you are still living at home with them, and be very careful that you get your tattoo at a clean and healthy place.

Keep in mind, some people, especially your family, may react negatively to your tattoo. Are you prepared to deal with that?

Is it okay to get tattoos covering your body?

Is it okay to get so many tattoos that they cover your body? This decision is completely between you and God. Do you think itís okay to get tattoos covering your body? Before you start getting a lot of tattoos, conceder your motive for getting so many. Do they all have a purpose? Could it make a difference in my witness to others? There are a lot that comes into play with this. The Bible does not condemn getting numerous tattoos, but the Bible does say that once you become a Christian that your body is a temple of God. Getting so many tattoos can possibly lead to health issues, infection, and possibly death.

I don't like tattoos!

Herein lies the problem. We expect everyone to like what we like and dislike what we dislike. We expect our church experience to be everyone's experience. We expect everyone's arms to look like our own. We expect everyone's taste in church music to be like ours. We are all uniquely made by God. Iím thankful for such a diverse creation!

Old ,   #3  
Unregistered

Default Re: Can a Christian get a tattoo?

If you are asking if it is possible... yes, obviously.

If you are asking if it is permissible... no, not under the Levitical system.

BUT, is it permissible for Christians... this is a bit more delicate.

Why?
Who are you imitating?
What are you seeking to satisfy?
With whom are you identifying most by getting one?

Old ,   #4  
Unregistered

Default Re: What does the Bible say about body piercings and tattoos?

Think about when you are old and wrinkly.... EWWWWW.. haha. you will be a laughing stock.

But yeah... i think that it is up to you. God has given you a free choice- also a conscious.. so if you are struggling making a decision i think that may be God saying... NOOOOOO. :-)

Old ,   #5  
Unregistered

I'm not condeming anyone who has them or saying you will go to hell but, a tattoo is a sin. And like any sin Jesus payed the price for it.

Look at Cain who murdered his brother. In God's word it says that God put a "mark" on him. sounds like a tattoo. God used it for a mark of a murderer though.

Another reason to not get a tattoo. God made us in his image and he saw that we where perfect when he made us. Why should we try to make a perminate modification or mark to our bodies?

Last reason. Our bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit. How would it look if a person came to a temple where you worship God and did some tagging/graffiti on it? Do you spray paint a large cross anywhere you want on a church?

Conclusion. Are tattoos a sin?
Yes
Will you go to hell for one?
No. Repent and believe that Jesus is Lord and that his blood was shed for our sins and he died and was risen so we can be saved and we can go to the Father through Jesus Christ.

At the same time don't judge people with tattoos.

He who is without sin cast the first stone.

Old ,   #6  
Unregistered

Bible Re: What does the Bible say about body piercings and tattoos?

First of all, are you really going to follow what a jew tells you to do?

This thing about god hating tatoos comes from a jewish book that was written with implicit instructions for how the jews should behave. Are you a jew? if you are a jew then you should not even be asking if you should get a tatoo or not, because you would have been taught by your parents that those things are against their jewish god.

Did you read anywhere in the new testament that jesus said for people not to get tatoos?

Also, this new testament is a book filled with errors and discrepancies. It takes an idiot to be fooled by the crap that it says. It takes a fool to believe in all the crap that it says.

The bottom line is this, you're not a jew, therefore you can get a tatoo if you want because you're not following their commandments, because if you did, you would have to follow other traditions and commandments that those jews follow: for instance, each friday at dusk you would have to stop working and you must head on over to the synagogue - that sounds pretty boring to me.

If you say that jesus is following the commandments of that jewish god, then you would have to follow all the commandments that have been set up for the jews, which they still have to practice.

Must go home now, I'm smelling mrs. satan's angry vulva calling me. must go home and eat.

Old ,   #7  
John 17:17

DO NOT BE DECEIVED... 2Tim 3:16 "ALL SCRIPTURE is given by INSPIRATION OF GOD, and is PROFITABLE FOR DOCTRINE, FOR REPROOF, FOR CORRECTION, FOR INSTRUCTION IN RIGHTEOUSNESS..."
WHY Do you seek to justify(mislead as Satan would) what GOD CLEARLY/DIRECTLY addresses us NOT TO DO? Read old and new testament about Spots, Blemishes, Stains, Marks, Defilement or TATTOOS. IN EVERY case it is spoken of in a STRONGLY NEGATIVE manner. In contrast, what does is say regarding pureness, purity, clean, washed, white etc.?
BELIEVE GOD and Do Not be conformed to this world, but be Transformed by the renewing of your mind!
Eph 5:26 "so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, that he might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having NO SPOT or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless."
2Cor7:1 Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from ALL defilement of the FLESH and Spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of GOD.
Leviticus 19:28" You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead NOR make ANY TATTOO marks on yourselves; I AM THE LORD. (any means ANY even crosses,bible verses etc.) vs 37 "You shall thus observe all my statutes and all my ordinances and do them; I AM THE LORD.

You see it is Written, GOD has spoken DIRECTLY about this SIN, why grieve the Holy Spirit, by being disobedient, rebellious, stiff necked. Satan (and our sin nature) will try to twist Gods word, but God is quite CLEAR on this subject.

Be Blessed by obeying Gods' word and not some demonic influence or worldly wisdom.

Old ,   #8  
saunterer
saunterer

Replies: 1
saunterer is an unknown quantity at this point

The New Testament does not command against tattoos or body piercings, but it also does not give us any reason to believe God would have us get tattoos or body piercings.

saunterer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old ,   #9  
Unregistered

I've tattooed all the precious parts of my body. I love tattoos.

Old ,   #10  
Unregistered

I love tattoos but damn this is scary and stupid.

Tags
bible, body, piercings, tattoos